This post describes some interesting ways to change the way we train. I find it really boring to sit through training where I have to follow along step -by-step for hours to learn things I know I will never use.
Most people have been through some very boring training, be it instructor-led or computer based. They have had to sit for long hours at a computer or in a training room and have been subjected to tons of information being dished out at them. No wonder they gradually start hating it.
Microlearning is the future of workplace learning. This blog post was published way back in 2009, so I’ll include a quick summary.
Microlearning is best used as a part of a blended learning solution and is suitable for:
- Activating knowledge before a classroom (or virtual classroom or even and eLearning session);
- Summarizing (after one of those sessions – delivered soon after the session);
- Recall (or reactivating knowledge – probably a week or two after the session. This ensures key concepts are revisited and helps in transferring the new knowledge to long term memory – especially for learners who may not get a chance to apply new knowledge immediately after the sessions);
- Providing application opportunities (through pop quizzes or learning games on mobile);
- Just-in-time search support by letting employees search in company’s knowledge databases (wikis, blogs, forums) using their mobiles.
By creating microlearning courses compatible with mobile devices, we can bring about a paradigm shift in the way we learn at the workplace.