Give Timely Feedback
E-Coaching Tip 19: Feedback on Assignments: Being Timely and Efficient
A frequently asked question about online teaching and learning is “How do you give feedback in a timely and efficient way to many students?”
Here are a few hints and background on this topic — hopefully at a timely point in your term. Note that these hints focus on feedback on assignments which is a different task than providing feedback on weekly discussions: the feedback in the weekly discussions or open forum is public, open, and part of the course community dialogue as a whole. Feedback on assignments is more private. It is part of the faculty to individual student dialogue, shaping an individual’s (or team’s) growth.
Give students prompt feedback
Set expectations in writing.
- Tell students how quickly and how frequently you will respond to email and discussion postings.
- Tell students the turnaround time for grading assignments and assessments, and then stick to it.
- Provide weekly guidance and encouragement to the class.
Provide prompt feedback on assignments.
- Return assignments with comments quickly and within the stated period of time.
- Make sure comments on student work are constructive and nonthreatening.
- Grade assignments consistent with criteria set forth in the syllabus/module.
- Give students detailed feedback on performance early in term.
Use quizzes and tests for feedback.
- Utilize built in, auto-graded quiz feature when appropriate.
- Align quizzes and tests with course objectives.
- Prepare classroom exercises and problems that give students immediate feedback on performance (self tests, for example).
Provide quick feedback in both synchronous and asynchronous settings.
- Provide students with continuous feedback and frequent support via email, chat and discussion postings.
- Take an active role in moderating discussions, providing feedback and participating in other interactive components.
Good Practice Gives Prompt Feedback